Thursday, January 29, 2009

My London Trip

In one hundred twenty-seven days and a half, I'm heading out of the country; I'm visiting London. I'm going with twenty other students from an after school program called C.L.I.M.B. in Brooklyn Park. The program is a leadership class that talks about life and helps students on their leadership skills. We've been planning this trip for more than a year and everyone is excited. We are not just visiting London to have fun, but we're also going to work hard. We are planning to visit schools and interact with other French Hmong students. We're also looking forward to helping out the community by doing volunteer work. We want to make a change in the world and lend a helping hand to anyone in need.
The estimation for the trip's cost is around $2500 per person. Yes, I know that is a lot of money. Money that many of the students don't have, especially me, because I have no job. But just two days ago I've just gotten hired by my uncle to help tutor some Hmong students, grades ranging from kindergarten to ninth grade. I get paid ten dollars an hour, four hours a week. That is not a lot of money, but it's better than nothing right? But even though I do have a job now, I'm hoping to save up more money, because I've only saved up $125. But I'm already going to be using that money to pay for my passport, so basically it leaves me no money to be save up. I'm in real frustration because the trip is coming up and I haven't done my passport or saved up any money at all. My after school program and I have been fundraising but somehow we haven't been getting enough money.
I'm really siked about this London trip because it's going to be the first time I go on an airplane and leave the country. So even though I'm really excited, I'm also very nervous. I can't imagine how the trip is going to turn out, but I know I'm going to have a blast and the time of my life!

1 comment:

L. M. Peifer said...

Have a great time; I love London! Make sure you go to Tate Modern--it is one of my favorite museums! (And it is right next to the Globe Theater so you could wander in there along the way!)